2/10/2009

Gigi e Antonio

Last night my roommate Greg and I stopped by a local pizza place for a slice before heading back home after a couple stops at the bars. We get inside and the owner (Gigi) and his nephew (Antonio) are there so I start chatting with them in Italian. Antonio speaks a little English so we were able to carry on for a while. They ask where we're from and we say California, but the owner wants to know what heritage I have because I look Italian. So I tell him most of my family comes from Sicily. His eyes get wide and he runs to the back and gives us two cups of his homemade wine. It was the best wine I've had so far. So we're having a little pizza and sipping our wine when Gigi says "no, you drink like this", pours himself a cup, and drinks the whole thing in one gulp. So, because I didn't want to offend him, I drank what was left. Before I know it we all had another cup and 'salute' and we all drank it at once. Gigi tells us to bring our friends and we got some more free pizza and he gave me a big piece of focaccia with spinaci and ricotta and we went back home where Greg and I collapsed with laughter.

Che buone notte.

3 comments:

CLEM said...

Giuseppe Pomosano

CLEM said...

Giuseppe Palmisano

James said...

And this is why I love Europe more than North America.